Thursday 29 March 2012

Cockerel Glory

Rummaging through florals there came a golden glow from the depths. Marie-Magali was scrunched up and forgotten among dark prints and unloved discarded textiles.

I was speechless at the beauty of this piece of fabric. I loved the detailing of the feathers on the bird's tail and the simplistic illustration of the ferns around. The colour palette was also what drew mew in, the golden yellow background with earthy browns and greens and just a splash of pinky rouge.

In all honesty I'm not sure what kind of bird this is. I'd be keen to know your views. From the tail i'd say it was a cockerel, however it seems too short, with a chunky neck and a flat head. Similarly this also crosses out a pheasant. Perhaps this is an exotic bird not local to Europe.

I'm not sure how to date this fabric at all. I would take a guess at the 1950's or 60's. However, the fabric has already been cut into, cut around so I would have been missing much of the original item. Again at a guess I would say the fabric was originally a circular table cloth, as the print had a central fern. It's just a plain shot in the dark.



In any case, the cockerel's stance and colours are beautiful, there is almost a painted aesthetic quality to the printed illustration. Only a handful of colours have been used but shadows depict his movements and how he is puffing out his neck feathers.

The bottom striped fabric, was also a lucky find. A box of lace and random ribbon came into my possession. Most of the pieces I had no idea what they would have been from and also what I could do with them. My guess would be that it was a wide ribbon for medals as there were similar ribbons with medals on. But it does seem a little too wide. This striped band was very sumptuous but I simply couldn't find a project to include it in.

The Marie-Magali cockerel came along and the colours just merged. I also felt it finished the square cushion well. Added a little something different and interesting. The two were a match made in textile heaven. The creams matched the golden glows of the cotton cockerel background and the pink-rouge also was a match.



The Marie-Magali cushion now looks very much French inspired. I can see it in a rustic French cottage, or perhaps as an outdoor seating cushion, or even in a kitchen, perhaps with similar cockerel prints.

Marie-Magali is looking for a loving home, so be sure to welcome this cushion to your sofa, chair or cushion corner.

Marie-Magali is a cushion cover, but you can also purchase the inner cushion on the Marie V site to fill up Marie-Magali.

If you have any insight on the Marie-Magali fabrics then please leave your comments as I'm keen to know more!

Thanks
Marie V

No comments:

Post a Comment