Tuesday 15 November 2011

Something for the weekend...

At the weekend, I like to cook hearty food for Mr M and I. It's the perfect time to slow cook meats and let the juices absorb into your cooking.

As the winter approaches it's ideal for winter warmers such as Coq Aux Vin, Boeuf Bourguinon and Sausage and lentil dishes. Anything with a wine sauce is a popular dish in our home and particularly in winter piping hot comfort food really completes our weekends!

I'm sharing some of my favourite recipes, simply because everyone should try them. I usually make simple recipes, use products that are easily found in supermarkets and local stores and are reasonably priced.

It's best to judge the quantity of ingredients by the mouths you need to feed, Mr M and myself can put away quite a bit of these winter warmers over a lazy weekend.

So below, please find my first recipe of Sausages and Lentils;

Sausages and lentils

The one thing I always forget to do is soak the lentils overnight. I really do recommend this, but I believe you can buy wet lentils in all good supermarkets

Ingredients
  • Pork sausages
I like to mix cumberland sausages with chipolatas for added taste
  • Shallot onions
    Or a white onion is fine
  • Pancetta
I can also recommend smoked bacon if you find pancetta hard to get hold of
  • Chilli flakes
  • Umbrian or Puy lentils
  • White Wine
  • Dry Sherry
  • Chicken Stock

Implements
I like to use a vintage stoneware pot that can stand on the hob and also go in the oven, but also advise any dish that can be covered in the oven. My stoneware pot is a very old Lecreuset, in brilliant orange. This was my grandmothers, my mother used it and now it's been passed down to me. I suppose that the 40-50 years of embedded cooking flavours helps my recipes!

Timing
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 45-60mins

Instructions
  1. Firstly you'll need to brown the sausages in oil, over the hob
  2. Evenly brown the sausages on all sides
  3. Remove from the pot when coloured
  4. Sprinkle with a little plain flour, this will help the sauce thicken
  5. Slice the shallot onion and sauté in the same pot you browned the onions
  6. Add the pancetta to the onions
  7. Add some chilli flakes to taste, I recommend a pinch
  8. Drain the lentils (if you remembered to soak them)
  9. Add the lentils to the pot
  10. I like to add some dry sherry and dry white wine, however the sherry is optional
  11. I will usually add rather a lot of wine and let it boil out
  12. Add the chicken stock and give it all a good stir
  13. Finally add the sausages.
  14. Place in the oven at around 150 degrees centigrade for 45-60 mins
  15. You can turn the heat down and slow cook for added flavour and texture.

No comments:

Post a Comment